Sunday, May 17, 2009

Honolulu Book & Music Festival

My husband and I attended the Honolulu Book & Music Festival yesterday.
http://www.hawaiibookandmusicfestival.org/
I bought some beautiful coffee table books for as little as one dollar.
When I buy a new, full priced book it's usually something I'm studying or that teaches me something ,so this was a treat to have a book for pure enjoyment.
It's always exciting to be in a place where I can check out new books and possibly find one to add to my collection. I'm drawn to any place they have books, bookstores, thrift stores, used book shops.Yard sales are one of my favorites because they practically give them away.
When my kids were young I could afford to supply them with new reading material this way. I read to both my daughter and son everyday when they were young, starting when they were just babies. They would listen attentively and love to look at the colorful illustrations. They both learned to read at an early age and are both avid readers today. I attribute this to an early love of reading.
Whenever there is a book swap or a book fair I have to go. I'm like a kid in a candy store there. Books open the door to all kinds of opportunity. They can be a good friend, take you on an adventure without leaving the comfort of your home and teach you things you never knew you were interested in.
Reading has always been a big part of my life. Some of my earliest childhood memories are when I was around three years old, my mom would read me story after story. She took us to the library weekly and I would spend what seemed like hours searching through all of the choices to select the very best. I would get a stack of books so high you could hardly see me behind them when carrying them out to the car. I have fond memories of being a kid with nothing more to do than spend days laying around reading a good book. I think reading so many books when I was young developed my desire to write. When I was in sixth grade, I had a teacher, Terri Cavanaugh -Ashley that was very supportive and encouraged me to write. She was a wonderful teacher who was also a friend, everyone loved her. I really appreciate having had her in my life.
It's just been recent, in the past few years that I've actually been paid for my writing. My first book Danny and the Dolphin is almost complete. I've been working on the design and publishing for the past year now. I never realized how much went into making a book.It's been a fun and rewarding process, and I've learned a lot about publishing.
You can check out my book preview here at my web site:

Having something I do everyday that I 'm passionate about is a really good feeling.
I have something to look forward to, that I'm excited to get to with writing...kind of like when you're in the middle of a good book and you can't wait to get back to reading it.
What's so wonderful about writing is, you can do it anywhere, and it's free!
If you're interested in writing or in seeing what writing is all about, you can check out a writing workshop in your area. You could also find one in a place you'd like to visit and have it be the excuse for some fun and travel.
My friend Katya Williamson, who was a key person in helping me get my book published
(Thank You Katya!) does writing retreats and writing workshops in California,Hawaii and in the UK.
You can check out her website here: http://www.katyawilliamson.com/
Katya is an author and also has a new book coming out this summer.
Her new book is called "Bringing The Soul Back Home". It's about the writing process she does at her writing retreats. Here's a link to her book:
http://www.o-books.com/product_info.php?products_id=593%20-%2044k

Today I appreciate knowing how to read and write.
I appreciate having good vision.
I appreciate having work that I love and I'm passionate about.
I appreciate having people to share that with.

No comments: